May-December Affair: How to Make It Really Work
As they say, love knows no boundaries. It does not recognize creed, race, religion, education, and even age.
It is therefore possible to find yourself in a May-December affair. It is a type of relationship where either one of you is way older. Age gap is usually from 10 to as much as 20 to 30 years.
Just like any kind of relationship, a May-December affair is subject to several kinds of problems. If you are willing to let it last for the rest of your life, then you should also do your best to save it.
Here are ways to deal with the relationship problems:
1. Accept the realities. Age will always bring out differences between both of you. The young ones will somehow be attracted to more youthful things while the more mature in the relationship will go for those that are a little less crazy.
These differences, however, should not be the main reasons for a relationship strain. All you need to do is to embrace these differences.
2. Be your own person. You do not have to act a certain age just to be loved and accepted by your partner. In fact, you should be accepted based on who you are.
To greatly reduce relationships problems, it is essential you respect each other’s individuality. Any relationship, including a May-December affair, should be all about supporting each other’s interests and allowing the other person to grow.
3. Learn to compromise. Younger ones, do not act like a brat. Older ones, do not pretend you are the boss. A relationship should be about give and take. It is a two-way street. One of the best relationship problems and solutions if you ever find yourselves in a crossroad is to compromise. You can both agree to disagree.
4. Get rid of your insecurity. Insecurity is one of the major killers in any relationship, especially in May-December affairs. It breeds jealousy, envy, anger, and greed. It promotes separation anxiety disorder and even depression.
A relationship needs a huge dose of trust and commitment. Just because you find your younger partner talking to someone his or her age does not really mean he or she is on the prowl. On the other hand, just because you do not appear as smart as your partner’s colleagues does not really mean he or she thinks of you less.
A good way to avoid insecurity is using a subliminal video download. The video provides you with positive messages or affirmations that can boost your morale or self-worth.
5. Open the communication lines at all times. Never allow one issue remain untold or unresolved. Sooner or later all your problems will overflow, and no amount of rescue will save the relationship.
Talk as often as you can with each other. Share about your worries, joys, and pains. Use the many tools available such as mobile phones and the Internet to reach out. Most of all, learn to listen.
A May-December affair is often a favorite hush-hush or gossip among friends and family, but the truth is as long as you are willing to make it work and you see yourself spending the rest of your life with your partner, then nothing else matters.