Learn the Ways of Accepting Others
It’s never easy to accept others, especially if they are of different values, beliefs, and traditions from us. It’s difficult not to place judgment on them. But the truth is you need to learn how to. You have to discover the process of accepting others for who they are, using the following tips:
1. Think of the law of reciprocity. If you want others to accept you, then you should also be willing to accept others. That’s the basic law of reciprocity. Now if you cannot do this, then there’s no reason why you should demand acceptance and even respect from others.
2. Enjoy the differences. Instead of worrying or counting the difference, why don’t you just learn to enjoy it? The world would be a very boring place if everyone is created the same, right? By our differences, our lives are enriched. We become multi-dimensional individuals. We may not agree with other people’s virtues and beliefs, but we can learn from them. Our differences do make interesting conversation pieces.
3. Acknowledge the differences. One of the reasons why you’re finding it difficult to accept others is because you think you still can change them. Perhaps you can influence them, but you really cannot impose to others what they should believe in or do. Once you learn to accept the fact that we all unique individuals, acceptance will no longer be that difficult for you.
4. Accept yourself for who you are. You have heard people say, “You cannot give what you don’t have.” If you don’t know how to accept yourself, how else can you do the same thing for others? Self-acceptance is the first step you need to take.
Accepting oneself is not that easy especially if you have lived your life with a lot of regrets, insecurities, and pain. Sometimes you dream about live somebody else’s life or a shop where you can purchase a brand-new you. But life doesn’t work that way.
You can use subliminal messages or affirmations to help make it easy for you to self-accept. Plenty of these subliminal messages discuss about letting go of your insecurities, coping with a very bad past, and how to live in the present.
Some of the affirmations you can use are the following:
I accept who I am, faults and all.
I am responsible for my own fate and doing.
I am in control of my own life.
The past is all behind me. What’s important is what I do with the present.
5. Compromise. There are ways on how to make things a win-win for you and for others. One, you can agree to disagree. This means you accept that you have different opinions on things and you respect each other’s beliefs. Second, you can learn to compromise or meet each other halfway. Surely, despite the huge differences, there will always be some points shared between the two of you.
Accepting others takes time, but if you want to speed it up, you need to take that one bold step right now.