How to Summon the Courage to Travel Alone
If you believe that traveling alone is bad, think again. It is one of the best self-confidence teachers. By solo traveling, you will have the peace of mind and solitude you will never going to get when you are with friends and family.
But you may still be afraid to do it. You are scared that something can happen, and it is going to be beyond your control. Get over the nerves by following these tips:
1. Prepare yourself for the travel. You can never stop things from happening, but you can be more prepared for them. You can greatly reduce travel dilemmas such as getting lost or robbed or hurt through intense planning and preparation.
Planning should be done at least a few months before the holiday. This way, you can cover as many issues as possible. You already identify the places you are going to visit, how much money to bring, where to stay, how to get to your destinations, and what activities to do.
You also need to prepare yourself emotionally and mentally. If you are not used to traveling alone, you will be battling homesickness or loneliness. Of course, the fear of uncertainties will fill your mind for days.
It may help if you can already condition yourself using subliminal messages. A few weeks before you travel, start listening to affirmations. They may be available as mp3s or videos. They help by increasing your self-confidence and by squashing your fears or traumas. Some of them may have messages like “I am ready to conquer the world” or “I am open to traveling the world and experiencing new cultures and sights.”
2. Consider hooking up with friends. You may be traveling alone, but that does not mean you have to be so all throughout. You can check out travel message boards, introduce yourself, and tell the members that you are looking for a buddy. A lot of them are actually open to meeting new people, especially if they are from other cultures. They may even make your stay more comfortable and convenient. They can show you around without paying for tour fees.
3. Stay away from certain places. There are just some areas that are not too friendly to tourists, particularly those who are solo travelers. You may keep them in mind and avoid them at all costs.
4. Create copies of all your documents. One of the worst things that can happen is losing your passport and other travel documents. It is therefore necessary you produce copies of these documents. Scan them, then e-mail the documents. Do not put them in flash drives, as you may still lose them. Or they may get stolen.
5. Think positive. Instead of worrying about the bad things that can happen, why don’t you start thinking about the positive experiences waiting for you out there? Imagine the fun, the entertainment, the delectable food, the sweet accommodation, and a whole lot more. Doing this makes you look forward more to the experience.