How to Look Fresh for Your Interview in Fifteen Minutes
Whether you like it or not, looks matter, especially if you are applying for a job or you are in for an interview. But when you are exposed to intense heat, a lot of pressure, and long waiting, there is a possibility you will no longer look and feel fresh by the time you should be interviewed.
Do not mess with your luck. Maintain your clean, fresh look with these tips:
1. Keep your toiletries handy. Place facial tissues, makeup, colognes, and sanitizers in your bag. At least a few minutes before your actual interview, check yourself in the mirror and clean yourself up. Make sure that before you clean yourself, you have washed your hands. You cannot keep all the dirt out if you have unclean hands.
2. Lower your stress level. When you are under stress, you begin to palpitate and sweat profusely. Worse, stress affects how you think. You cannot think clearly, and you may stutter during your interview.
You need to learn how to practice stress management. Here are some ideas:
- Practice while you are on your seat. It is actually advisable to simulate an interview a few days or a week before the actual schedule. But you can still continue doing so while you are already waiting for your turn. On your seat, try to think of questions they may probably ask you and try to answer them the best way you can. Though you will never know what’s going to happen during the actual interview, you can come in prepared.
- Take deep breaths. When your heart to beats fast, you know that you are already getting anxious about something. Control it before other physical signs start to manifest. Take slow deep breaths. You can do it while you’re sitting. Just breathe in air through your nose and exhale through your mouth. Continue doing it until you feel your heart’s beat slowing down.
- Meditate. Anxiety can crowd your mind, preventing you from thinking properly. Perform a short meditation. This doesn’t have to be more than 5 minutes. The most important thing is you can remind yourself to be grounded at the moment and not to put too much focus on what’s going to happen in the next few minutes.
3. Boost your self-esteem with subliminal messages. One of the attributes interviewers will be looking for is self-confidence. They want people who are assured of themselves and what they can bring to the company. Confident people are go-getters and competitive.
To further increase your level of confidence, use subliminal messages like the following:
I deserve this job.
I am trust in my capabilities as a person.
I am capable of doing a lot of things.
You can download subliminal messages online and put them in your iPod or mp3 player. This way, while you’re waiting, you can listen to them.
Do self-hypnosis. Self-hypnosis is all about bringing yourself to a much calmer state. To do self-hypnosis, you need to perform proper breathing and allow yourself to tap into your subconscious mind.