How to Help a Mom Cope with Cancer
It’s not only the cancer patients who have to go through a lot of pain and suffering all throughout the illness. It’s also difficult for their loved ones, especially for the kids, especially if they feel that they could not do something.
If your mom is suffering from cancer, then it’s important for you to know that you don’t have to feel so hopeless. There are a lot of things you can do to ease the suffering and help her manage the illness more effectively.
You can do the following:
1. Know more about it. When you’re armed with the right knowledge, you have a much better idea on what to do. You can ask questions from her doctor, talk to other patients and survivors, read articles online and in health magazines, or join message boards. You can even ask for tips from families and friends of other patients.
2. Be with her when she takes tests. Going through a series of tests and doctor discussions can be time-consuming, exhausting, and traumatic for your mom. Imagine experiencing several examinations and waiting for the results a few days or weeks after. But you can make it a lot easier for her by just being there. You can provider her emotional and physical support so she doesn’t have to feel so scared. You can be there to comfort her if the results are bad and celebrate with her when they are good.
3. Monitor her too. You can act like her own doctor at home. You can watch the food she eats, encourage her to exercise and take her medications and vitamins, as well as check for any signs and symptoms associated with her illness. You can maintain a journal or a log book where you can write down all your observations and tasks.
4. Communicate with her often. If it’s impossible to be with your mom all the time, then at least reach out to her as often as you can. Ask her about how her day was and how she’s managing. It’s essential your mom feels the love and support even if you’re not physically around.
5. Take care of the chores. With cancer, there will be good days and bad days. There will be times when your mom cannot really handle any of her usual responsibilities. Just the thought of not being able to take care of the chores can be depressing for her. You can lighten the load by doing the tasks for her. Give your mom a time to relax and heal herself.
Take Care of Yourself Too
You cannot be there for your mom if you are also physically and emotionally weak. It helps a great deal if you can join support groups for families of cancer patients. This way, you have an outlet for your sadness and confusion.
You also need to increase your confidence and hope by listening to subliminal messages downloads. Affirmations like “I can take care of my mother” or “I have a lot of love to give” can surely give you plenty of hope.