Be a Better Grandparent with These Tips
Being a grandparent is just as exciting as being a parent. The new addition to the family means you have another extension of yourself. You are looking forward to plenty of things you can do with your grandchildren. And since you want to make sure that your grandchildren will love you, you want to be the best for them. Here are some tips to achieve that:
1. Do not spoil them. Here is the biggest mistake grandparents make. They give in to everything the kids want for a variety of reasons. They are not around a lot of times, they want to bring the children much closer to them, or they want to be known as “good grandparents.” But spoiling brings a lot of issues, including the ideal way of raising kids. You would also find yourself at odds with the parents, forcing them to keep the kids at a distance from you.
It is the parents’ choice to spoil the child. As a grandparent, you are only expected to shower the kids with a lot of love and support, not gifts.
2. Avoid disciplining them. Whether you like it or not, the manner of disciplining employed by your own children will be very different from yours. After all, they have to adjust their methods according to how the kids grow up these days. You need to leave the disciplining to the parents, unless you are asked to take care of the kids yourself. If you think something is wrong in how the child behaves, you talk to the parents, not to the child.
3. Learn to say no. At your age, you can only do so much. It is essential you know how to say no and you practice it while the children are still very young. You also need to rest and pursue other things besides being around with your grandchildren.
4. Honor special holidays. The holidays or special occasions are the best times to bond and establish stronger personal relationships with the rest of the family members. Children who grow up seeing their relatives and grandparents regularly are more secure and confident about themselves. They know there is someone for them.
Do not hesitate to drop by or give a call during birthdays, weddings, anniversaries, Christmases, and other important affairs in the family.
5. Be confident that you can be a good grandparent. One of the things that would prevent you from becoming better is your self-perception. If you think you are not capable of it, then you would not be able to achieve what you desire.
You have to be constantly motivated or inspired. At this point, subliminal messages can be extremely helpful. Affirmations just have a way of lifting your moods, making you more confident, and influencing how your mind thinks. These messages include “I can be a good grandparent” and “I am capable of loving more people.” To be reminded all the time, you can purchase their CD versions and listen to them at least for 15 minutes a day.