A Couch Potato No Longer: How to Beat Your TV Addiction
Do you know that men and women should spend no more than 4 hours in front of the television? It increases the risks of developing cardiovascular diseases. It also promotes a sedentary lifestyle, which often leads to obesity and other disorders. If these are not enough, it does not encourage social relationships.
But kicking a negative habit is not easy as you think. You need to know at least the basic steps on what to do. The following then can be very helpful:
1. Do not hurry the process up. What happens when you suddenly cut yourself off from watching television? You will develop withdrawal symptoms. You will feel antsy, irritated, and moody for most of the time. It may even lead to anxiety and depression, as you can definitely feel the deprivation.
You cannot remove your TV addiction immediately, but you can do it slowly. Try to reduce the time in front of your TV. If you spend 8 hours or more, consider 6 to 5 per day, until you watch TV more sparingly.
2. Do other productive activities. So you would not miss television a lot, go for other productive activities, especially around those times you would normally watch the boob tube. If you tend to watch TV all morning, you can substitute that with going to parks, having brunches with friends, or hanging around in bookstores.
3. Avoid having a television inside your bedroom. A telly inside the bedroom should be a no-no. Before you know it, you will end up spending the rest of your night watching TV shows and movies. Your bedroom should be a place where you can get a lot of sleep, where you can obtain a restful sleep. Watching too much television, especially at night, may be a trigger to insomnia and a lot of stress very early in the morning.
4. Do not subscribe to cable. If you do not want to end up watching too much shows and films, you can stop yourself from subscribing to cable. If you have one, it is time to have it disconnected.
5. Spend more time outdoors. Increase the time you spend in the outdoors. Enjoy some time biking, hiking, and mountain climbing. You can even invite some friends to go camping. You can also take up a sport, such as football, hockey, or lacrosse.
6. Choose your shows. Surely not all TV shows are your favorite. Perhaps two or three of them are the ones you have been following for some time. It does not make sense therefore to watch the others. If you want to really control your watched TV programs, you can record your all-time favorite shows in TiVo.
7. Use affirmations. Now how can subliminal messages be helpful in curbing TV addiction? Sometimes you will feel as if it is something you can never give up. Use the subliminal messages to boost your confidence. You can remind yourself every morning:
I can definitely beat TV addiction.
There is more to life than watching TV.
I can surely say good-bye to TV.